Happy new year! To start off the year, I’m listing my favorite posts from 2013:
1) Ode to all ye bookworms — Somebody goofed and took me to a library when I was a kid. I never looked back;
2) Two people try to explain the unexplainable — When you’ve been married 40 years, it takes both of you to try to explain why;
3) Watch Out, Rick Santorum — You know the old saying about broken clocks being right twice a day? Well, even a dim bulb like Santorum might be smart to be intimidated by gay marriage — since it could make him look bad;
4) The Wonderful and the Terrible — For better or for worse, in sickness and in health, don’t just apply to marriage. They’re about long friendships, too;
5) Spoiling the Broth — Enough with the guilt trips. Not everybody likes to cook. In fact, some of us dislike it. Really, really dislike it;
6) Yeah, Yeah, Yeah — I managed to score with a key lime pie, but Paul McCartney stood me up;
7) Either the Music Goes or I Do –These days, the first thing I ask for in a restaurant is for the music to be turned down. I’d really rather order an appetizer;
8) The Proposal: A Family Saga — When a good suitor came calling, we all said yes;
9) Taken Down, But not Out, by the TSA— I didn’t think I looked threatening. Evidently, I was misinformed;
10) On Being the BUT of the Joke– How do you age “well”? I keep trying to figure it out;
11) 10 Shades of Darkness— It’s hard to explain depression to someone who’s never been depressed. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try;
12) You FeelingLucky Today? – Coming to the oncology waiting room is like playing the slot machines—and just about as fair;
13) I Wanted a Car But We Bought a Spaceship — Our new car can support 12—that’s 12–high-tech devices. My only question is, why?
(Copyright 2014 by Ruth Pennebaker)
You can also read you the best blog posts of 2012 and 2011. Or 2010, for that matter.
Happy New Year Ruth!
You had some great posts last year. I’m looking forward to what you’ll be writing this year!
Thanks for the list, Ruth. Funny, poignant, real… I love how you cover all the bases. I missed a few of these, so will backtrack and read.
Loved these and now I’m looking forward to what your blog delivers in 2014!
I remember so many of these posts with a chuckle of pleasure. Wishing many more like them in the New Year, please. Happy 2014!
This is a great round-up and a reminder that I need to read these again, they were so good the first time around. Happy New Year to you and look forward to reading more of your insights in 2014.
Sun fun reading! I can’t wait to see what you come up with in 2014.
Such diversity of thought, but always the wisdom. Happy New Year!