Here I was, prepared to write my usual slice-of-life post. I mean, what else can you do when the woman in front of you at the postal store tells the clerk, “No, my daughter moved upstairs after her boyfriend threatened to kill her.”
Eavesdropping. For me, it’s a way of life.
But then, I noticed that my friend, Susan Johnston, at her excellent blog, The Urban Muse, had opted for a list of her top 10 posts in 2010. What a great idea, I thought, deciding to do it.
Creative borrowing. For me, it’s a way of life.
So, here are my top 10 posts for 2010:
1) Just for Today, I am Pat Robertson — Can’t help myself, I just love this one. Who knew how much fun it would be to be a zealot for a day?
2) Failing at Enlightenment Over and Over Again — Wondering why we have to learn the same hard lessons about the great value of life again and again.
3) How To Travel and Lose Your Mind — What’s worse than traveling with one man and one iPhone? Traveling with two men and two iPhones.
4) Unexpected Compliments in a Medical Setting — When you first fall in love, you never contemplate exchanging long glances from a hospital bed.
5) Just Stop Beating Me Up With Punctuation Marks — Ranting about exclamation mark and emoticon abuse.
6) The Day When Nothing Made Sense — The day my father died, I couldn’t do anything right — except opt for White Russians.
7) My Excuse is I Had a Fencing Accident — When life gives you a black eye, you need to come up with a glamorous reason for it.
8. I Just Lack a Flair for Drama, That’s All — I wouldn’t have chuted out of the JetBlue plane even if I could have. Sulking is far more expressive.
9) Shut Up, She Explained — Yes, yes, marriage is about compromise. But sometimes, it’s the other guy’s turn.
10) Not Everything Can Be Hurried — Maybe it’s unamerican to grieve too slowly. My dear, I don’t give a damn.
Happy new year to all!
(Copyright 2010 by Ruth Pennebaker)